The Coastline Cruise on Our Generation Radio

Promote Your Page Too

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Take The Long Way Home

When I started college in Fall of 2008, I Thought I had it all figured out, I thought I knew what I was going to be--I was going to go into the Newspaper business like my mother had done nine years earlier, and like my Grandfather Ben Hay had done for what seemed like his entire life. Then I came to the University of South Carolina campus in Columbia, still thinking the same thing...until I saw the Student Media flyers, one for WUSC leaped out at me. This was Fall of 2010 now. I was too scared to try the first time, but then decided to try in the Spring. I failed miserably, but rather than give up, I spent every free hour I had up in the studio, studying all of my peers diligently. That's when something inside me woke me up. I realized my dream had changed, I wanted to be just like my new friends, I wanted to talk to these people out there. I wanted to reach out to that lonely college student like me, who was listening...waiting for someone to care. Summertime came and for that whole time I had the things I'd done wrong in the past test kicking around in my head. I knew what I needed to do. At the end of the two week training period, The Dew Drop-In run by that spunky new DJ known as "Dallas Alice" was born. I paid my dues, spinning two full hours of brand spankin' new tunes provided by various corners of the earth, and was granted a second turn at the mic for the coming semester. Now, We'd moved out of the "In" and transferred service to the old Destroyer, The Pandora, for The Pandora's Wreck, where that same spunky DJ had cultivated a new spin called The Flip Side, bringing the best music the past 40 years had to offer. I stepped over lots of seemingly large land mines, and have remained untouched ever since, however it's come to my attention that what will sustain me is experience, so it is with a tear in my eye that I leave the Pandora after a whole semester of service. I really need to take a step back and look at the real picture. I'm still going to man the ship on Our Generation Radio, but I'm going out to seek my fortune. Stay tuned for the journey, for I feel that with radio, I've finally come home.

Seize the day, ye mighty travelers!
-Captain Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment